Please do not...
...do not flush pharmaceuticals down any drain or dispose of them in any garbage. Unused and unwanted medication should be taken to a drop-box location for collection and proper disposal. Please empty pills from their original containers into a sealed bag. See below for more details on what we can and cannot accept. Please also take note of the Drug Repository Program, that allows you to donate unused and unexpired drugs to patients in need. Find out more here.
WHY USE A MEDICATION
PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT: Studies have found traces of pharmaceuticals in wastewater throughout the United States. Even after wastewater is treated and discharged, these pharmaceuticals persist in the environment. Preventing them from entering these ecosystems will maintain the integrity, diversity, and value of our natural resources.
INCREASE PUBLIC SAFETY: According to the National Survey on Drug Abuse & Health, 70% of those 12 years & older who abuse non-medical painkillers are obtained through a friend or relative, both legally and illegally.
IMPROVE PUBLIC HEALTH: Throwing unused or unwanted medications in the trash, or leaving them out, can lead to dangerous unintended exposure to people or animals. Treat and store both prescription and over-the-counter drugs like any other poison.
Colby/Abbortsford Police Department: If traveling a long distance, it is suggested you call 715-223-4944 first. Located at 112 W Spruce Street Abbotsford, WI. M W F 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. T & TH 8:00 am - 1:00 pm in public lobby area. No holiday drop-off.
Everest Metro Police Department: 5303 Mesker St. Weston, WI. M - F 8:00 am - 5:00 pm public lobby area. No holiday drop-off.
Kronenwetter Police Department: 1582 Kronenwetter Dr. Kronenwetter, WI. Open 24/7, 365 days a year in public entrance area.
Rothschild Police Department: 211 Grand Ave. Rothschild, WI. Open 24/7, 365 days a year in public entrance area.
Wausau Police Department: 515 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI. M - F 8:00 am - 4:00 pm. Drop slot in public lobby area. No holiday drop-off.
Village of Marathon City: 311 Walnut Street, Marathon, WI. Mon-Fri, 7am - 4pm in Lobby. No Holiday Drop Off.
YES to the following:
- Over-the-counter or prescription drugs
- Prescription creams and lotions can be included. Leave those in their original packaging.
- Inhalers (new!)
NO to the following:
- Radioactive chemo drugs or IV bags
- However, if you have unused cancer medication it may be eligible for the Cancer Drug Repository Program. Find a participating pharmacy near you.
- Needles or syringes
- However, more information on needles or syringes can be found on our Sharps page.
- Personal care products - shampoo, lotion
- However, these items should be used up as much as possible. Properly dispose of its container.
- However, you can dispose of them in your trash. Crush them up and mix with something undesirable (such as coffee grounds) to ensure that no small children or animals will find and consume them.
- Garbage or trash.