See a list of accepting locations below. Please call facilities in advance to confirm fees (if any) and procedures. We accept sharps at the Marathon County Solid Waste Department, and no appointment is necessary. Put sharps in commercial sharps disposal container or a heavy plastic detergent or bleach bottle with a screw-on cap for tight sealing. No milk jugs or other thin plastic. Do not separate the needle from the syringe. Label the container with “biohazard” or “sharps” with a permanent black marker in big letters. For your convenience, view our sharps collection flier.
The following Wausau locations accept used sharps for collection:
- Walgreens Pharmacy 105 Central Bridge Street 715-845-8279
- Walgreens Pharmacy 504 S. 17th Ave 715-848-8730
- Young's Drug Store 2106 Grand Ave 715-845-3713*
- Young's Drug Store 310 E Bridge Street 715-845-5203*
- Aurora Pharmacy 1600 Sixth Street 715-842-0741
- Marshfield Clinic Wausau Center 2727 Plaza Drive 715-387-5787*
The following additional locations in Marathon County also accept used sharps:
- Aurora Pharmacy 10101 Market Street - Mosinee 715-241-0245*
*Location requires sharps to be in an approved container, call for details.
Please note that collection program parameters vary by location and are subject to change. Always call for the most updated information regarding hours, fees, container-exchange, customer policy, etc.